The relationship between therapist and client is a powerful connection that is meant to empower the client to grow.
Jeannette Phelan is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, specializing in individual, couples and family psychotherapy. Areas of specialization include conflict resolution, overcoming the debilitating effects of chronic depression, grief, anxiety and abuse trauma, in Sacramento, California. With over 25 years of experience as a clinician, and a graduate of California State University, Sacramento, she is currently serving as private practitioner in Sacramento, California, working with a broad spectrum of clients.
In addition to her clinical expertise, Jeannette is well-known for her talents as a Clinical Supervisor for graduate student trainees and registered interns. As a former lead worker,consultant and clinical director, Jeannette has created student training programs that enable students and interns to develop their individual strengths while evaluating their growing edges as they mature in clinical ability and experience. Utilizing a hands on approach that incorporates humor, guidance, and instruction, Jeannette has been responsible for assisting students and interns in challenging their fears and excelling in their growth thru licensure.
In addition, to serving as an Expert Witness in Yolo, Placer, and Sacramento Counties in areas of Sexual Abuse and Sex Offender treatment. Jeannette is an experienced practitioner and interactive, solution-focused therapist. Her treatment approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients resolve current problems and long-standing patterns. She incorporates a blend of conventional and alternative approaches, drawing upon a variety of styles and techniques to incorporate what will be most helpful for each client. With sensitivity and compassion, she works with each client to help them build on their strengths to identify and achieve life goals.
Education, Additional Training:
- Master of Science Degree, Counselor Education, CSUS 1981
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Criminal Justice, CSUS 1974
- Faculty Mentor, Academy of Guided Imagery, 1993
- Clinical Supervisor, 1995 and ongoing
- Sexual Abuse Training, 1989 thru present
- Substance Abuse, (Claudia Black, The Meadows) 1986 thru present
- Art and PlayTherapy, 1999 thru 2005
- EMDR, Parts I and II, 2001, 2004
- Grief and Bereavement, 1989 thru present
- Sandtray- Parts I and II, 1996-1997
- Anxiety and Panic Disorders, 16 hour training, November 2007 thru February 2008
- Sex Offender Treatment, CCOSCO, Anna Salter et al. 1997-2005
License, Certifications & Awards:
- Domestic Violence, WEAVE, 4 day training, 2000
- Marriage and Family Therapist, MFC #24770, March 1989
- Presidents’ Point of Light Award, 1991
- Missing Children Award 2004